FRIENDS OF THE DOSE

Saturday, January 17, 2009

FRIENDS - ACQUAINTANCES?

Being born in 1964 makes me a pretty old guy, at least I think I'm old. I know, its supposed to be the prime of life, but sometimes my body can tell me differently. Come on, you know exactly what I am talking about if you have hit the big 40... and if you don't, hang on it probably is just in catch up mode.

Dad told me a long time ago, "Chip, throughout your lifetime you will have very few true friends." Defining a true friend as someone who would do anything for you no matter the situation. Well 30 + years later, I can say his advice is very true. I don't have more then a handful of really true friends. I have a lot of acquaintances, and I enjoy there company. Well at least most of them. And I am sure many have the exact same sentiments when it comes to my company. Some like it, some, well, they could do without it and probably do. Be honest, we all know you're the exact same way.

Friends and acquaintances come in and out of our lives almost daily. The number of new people we meet is unreal. Yes, there's that circle of daily friends and acquaintances, but the number of people I have met just over the last year is far beyond my ability to recall and I don't meet near as many as some of you.

Right now seems to be that transition period I call reacquiring acquaintances. Over the last six months, I've had the opportunity to rekindle a lot of old acquaintances. Folks that I haven't talked to in years. Friends and acquaintances from High School and post high school. Some that I spent little time with and still others I spent quite a bit of time with. Guys and gals I ha ve'nt seen or heard from in 20 + years. Talk about making you feel old, when you talk with someone where the last time you saw them you were 22, that really makes you feel like you are... well getting up there, lets put it that way.



The amazing thing is how, all of a sudden, from just a note posted on your facebook or a comment about your status or a brief conversation, you are flooded with memories that you haven't thought about in years. I must admit, it has really been fun catching up with old friends and acquaintances. I don't know how many you could really call a friend, especially when you don't talk with them for half your life, still, they were and now are a part of our everyday lives, and for that I am truly thankful.

Our lives are truly enriched by those that are around us. No matter what I do for myself, it always feel better when I have a chance to do something for them.

To ALL of you, those I consider a friend or an acquaintance, thank YOU for being a part of my life, past, present and if the Good Lord allows, future.

Now, to those I love the dearest. Janet and Christopher, if you guys ever read my garble, please know that you are my best friends, I would truly do anything for you and I love you both.

To all my family, friends and acquaintances, may you be blessed and bless those that you come into contact with everyday.

Until next time,
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post. Your comments are read and could be published, so please keep them clean.

Until next time,
Chip