FRIENDS OF THE DOSE

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

FAVORITE CHILDHOOD MEMORY - MISS OLLIE

This one comes from a fellow class mate of mine, Lisa Christian shared this one with me and I have to share it with you. A part of the puzzle called life. Thanks Lisa for bringing it to THE DAILY DOSE. Enjoy....

Lisa wrote:

O.K. Chip, this may not be, well, prim and proper as ... well, you'll see. But, it is one of my very favorite memories.

My step-grandmother was a character, her name was Miss Ollie. She was from Mississippi and had a Mississippi southern accent. She was staying at my dad and step-mother's house one summer, when we went to visit. My step cousin Terri was there, also, and she was a year older than me.

During this particular summer, in 1977, we girls, Terri, Wendy and I were all in our early teens. So, naturally, we liked boys. There was a group of boys that lived near my dad's and they had little motorcycles that they road through a ditch, that ran behind the back of my dad's yard.

Terri, Wendy and I made acquaintance with these guys. They were all daring and liked to show out, of course, and we enjoyed joking and talking with them. One day, we had got the bikes out and rode past one of their houses, and this kid was in his driveway just mucking around with some lighter fluid, squirting his tennis shoes and lighting them up. (What better way to pass the time on a summer morning?) We heard a car pull to the curb and it was Miss Ollie, she said,"Girls, your dad is home and wants you to get home, right now." So, we did just that, only to find out my dad was NOT home, and had no care of where we were, or what we were doing, because he was actually at work.

We all thought this was pretty strange. But, Miss Ollie was seeming disgruntled for the past week or so. She had commented on our shorts that she had never seen girls wear such short, shorts. They were just not decent. We would laugh about her observations and just go on.

The next day at lunch, Miss Ollie was acting more strange, still. My stepmother was even wondering what was bothering her. We were sitting eating lunch, when, apparently, Miss Ollie had, had enough. She couldn't keep it to herself any longer. She said, "Girls, if I ever catch you at a boys house, ever again, I'm gonna pinch your titties off!!!!" Jackie, my stepmother, exclaimed, "Miss Ollie, I've never!" We laughed and laughed and laughed. We had never heard Miss Ollie say any such thing and she plead, that she just couldn't stand that we were at that boy's house and it just was NOT right. We told Jackie our side of the story and she laughed, too.

We loved Miss Ollie, but dealing with here 19Th Century morals and manners, got to be quite tough at times.

You can add this to your blog, if you think it is o.k. I don't have any real warm, fuzzy, memories, because my family was too dysfunctional to roll that way. But, that doesn't mean I don't have some treasured memories of some of the bright moments that gave character to an otherwise, rough time in my life. I am thankful I survived in the shape I'm in, because according to statistics, I'm supposed to be some sort of an addict living a life of hardship and immorality. Thank God for miracles!!!



Well Lisa confirmed that Miss Ollie has gone to meet her Maker, but you have got to believe she would have been a blast to talk with. Lisa, THANK YOU for sharing your moment in time. It was truly enjoyed by many, I am sure.


Until next time,
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on this post. Your comments are read and could be published, so please keep them clean.

Until next time,
Chip